Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I'm Loving Whirlwind

Lately, almost every weekend I go out to Whirlwind Golf Course, which is associated with Wild Horse Pass in the Gila River Indian community. There, I pay a $20 fee to have unlimited access to the practice facility which has two of everything: driving range, short game area, and putting green. There are usually not too many people out there so it is peaceful and relaxing...a welcome change from the zoo at the Dobson Ranch driving range.

I bounce back and forth from the driving range and the short game area, practicing different clubs. Lately, I have been swinging my driver a lot because it gets me into the most trouble recently. I can spend hours upon hours and even before leaving, I always hit just one last ball. Of course, I pay the putting green respect for a few minutes before leaving. :) I'm just as bad as the rest of the amateur race.

I have been considering getting an Annual Membership at Whirlwind, but the cost is quite prohibitive...$5600 for the year. Like my friend Chad says, "Even if you played once a week, you would be paying $100 each round." However, I dream of being a member at such a place. Imagine being able to play at any time...even if you could only get in a couple of holes. People don't realize how great that would be. You aren't forced to play an entire round each time and if it is too slow one day you can just pick up and leave. The ability to come, play, and go as you please is the X-factor that people don't take into account when assessing the cost of a golf membership.

I'm still dreaming of the day.....

No comments: