Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Practice Weekend

Last weekend, I didn't play golf, I practiced. I actually enjoy practicing golf, which I hope will translate to me becoming a better golfer.

This time I practiced my short game heavily. I started off on my chipping in different positions around the green. Uphill chipping, Downhill chipping, to a short pin and long pin. I then moved out to 40, 55, and 70 yards approximately. As I am writing this, I realize that I don't remember the exact yardages now! I need to go re-verify on the practice range. I found out that if I go "L to L" my distance is about 45-50 yards, and if I go from what I call "L to T" which simply means I have a full follow-through, my ball reaches the 70 yard mark. For the shorter, 40 yard shot I can simply do the same "L to L" routine but have my feet very close together so as to limit my lower body in the shot, which reduces the distance to around 40 yards. "L" simply means a half back-swing where the arms are parallel to the ground and the club with the arms forms an "L" shape. The "T" is where on a full, follow-through, the club actually is more parallel to the ground and the club with the arms forms a "T" shape.

For my putting, I practiced some longer-range "lag" putts. Trying to improve my feel. One thing I have heard that you can do is simply "lag" the ball to the fringe on the edge of the green. I didn't do this, however, because I wanted to get close to a pin (which simulates what happens in a real game situation). Then, I pulled out a home-made string with stakes, so I could practice my alignment as well as putting down the line, rather than pulling or pushing my putts. This practice was ideal because I realized that "where my eyes go, the ball goes". In other words, if my eyes follow the line I want the putt to go, the ball will follow.

No comments: